You are currently viewing Seven-week wait for some red flag patients

Seven-week wait for some red flag patients

  • Post category:health
  • Post comments:0 Comments
  • Post last modified:August 27, 2025

Some patients who have been red flagged for breast cancer assessments are waiting up to seven weeks to be seen in Northern Ireland. The target set by Northern Ireland’s Department of Health for patients red flagged for breast cancer to be assessed is 14 days. Mary, who was red flagged by her GP last week, told BBC News NI she will have at least a five-week wait to be seen. She said her doctor was “very apologetic” but couldn’t give her a definitive timescale. BBC News NI understands that several breast cancer consultants are concerned that waiting times have spiralled since a new regional system for handling referrals was introduced. The system was criticised for creating a postcode lottery network as, depending on a patient’s address, some were being seen more quickly than others. Before its introduction, health trusts managed their own red flag referrals. In May, all red flag referrals in the Western Trust were seen within 14 days, making it one of the better performing trusts at meeting its target. However, within weeks of the regional system starting, some patients were waiting up to seven weeks, with the latest data showing 250 patients waited more than 14 days for a red flag breast clinic appointment. More than 1,100 people across Northern Ireland are on a red flag list. One health trust source told BBC News NI that the regional system was proving too complex to manage, with projections of waiting lists rising to 11 weeks by the end of September. Mary said she is proactive and has been for regular breast screening appointments so it is “very frustrating” to now be unable to access the services she needs. She has also been on Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) for a number of years, which she has had to stop while she waits for a breast cancer referral. The new red flag initiative was announced in May by Health Minister Mike Nesbitt in response to the “unacceptable” waiting times for breast cancer services in Northern Ireland. The aim was to enable people from across all the health trusts to access the earliest appointment available to them, no matter where they live. Nesbitt said that it wasn’t acceptable for women in one trust area to have to wait significantly longer to be assessed than women in another trust area “so this will help address the disparities between the trusts”. As the system has been operating for about three months, others have said it needs time to bed in and that summer leave among medics has also been an issue. Sources have told the BBC that some of the health trusts feel they are in a better position to manage the lists, but as some breast units are better staffed than others, this does not produce an equitable appointment system.

Source link

Leave a Reply