Two children have been killed and 17 people injured after a shooting at a Catholic school in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The attack happened just before 08:00 local time on Wednesday at Annunciation Church, where children had been attending a worship service during their first week of school. The attacker died at the scene of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The FBI is investigating the incident as an “act of domestic terrorism and hate crime targeting Catholics.”
The attacker has been identified as 23-year-old Robin Westman, from suburban Minneapolis. Westman’s motive is currently unknown. The attacker approached the side of the church and fired dozens of shots through the windows using three firearms – a rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol. Police also found a smoke bomb at the scene.
Two children, aged eight and 10, were killed. Seventeen people were also injured, 14 of whom are children. The three adults who were injured are all parishioners in their 80’s. All injured victims are expected to survive, officials said.
Annunciation Catholic Church and its faith-based school is for students from preschool up to Grade 8, according to its website. It is located in a residential area of southern Minneapolis. The Catholic school’s approach to teaching is one of faith-based learning. The school added that religion “compels” it to engage with its local community.
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said President Donald Trump and his team had expressed their “deep condolences” and offered assistance. Trump later said the US flag would be flown at half-mast at the White House as a show of respect to the victims.
Source link