You are currently viewing Fall in viewers for Gregg Wallace and John Torode’s last opening show

Fall in viewers for Gregg Wallace and John Torode’s last opening show

  • Post category:entertainment
  • Post comments:0 Comments
  • Post last modified:August 11, 2025

Just under two million people watched MasterChef’s return with sacked hosts Gregg Wallace and John Torode. About 2.7 million watched last year’s launch show, but the figures are hard to compare due to a number of factors. The pre-recorded series is being shown after misconduct findings against the hosts. Critics say the show feels awkward and lacks its usual energy. Gregg Wallace and John Torode were sacked last month after a report into conduct on the cooking show upheld allegations against them. The BBC decided to still show this year’s amateur series, saying it was “the right thing to do” for the chefs who took part. The first three episodes were released on iPlayer, with the series opener broadcast on BBC One at 20:00 BST. Overnight figures showed the launch had 1.96m viewers, compared with last year’s launch show which had 2.73m viewers. The decline should be seen against a backdrop in which terrestrial TV viewing figures are falling year on year. Ahead of the new series airing, there had been speculation that the new episodes might be re-edited to reduce the presence of Wallace and Torode. Both presenters appear from the outset and throughout the episodes, but there appear to be fewer jokes than usual and less chat between them and the chefs. The Daily Star’s front page highlights criticism of the new series, saying heavy editing after the presenters were sacked for misconduct has left the show awkward and a “shambles”. In a review, The Telegraph’s critic Ed Cumming wrote: “To show how seriously the BBC takes the allegations against the presenters, they have edited out their jokes.” The resulting series “lacks pizzazz”, he said. The Standard’s Vicky Jessop wrote: “No jokes here – the production team presumably being terrified that anything either of them says would be taken the wrong way.” The first episode “left a slightly sour taste in the mouth”, she added – a sentiment echoed by the Independent’s Nick Hilton, who wrote that the series is “tinged with a strange, bitter aftertaste”. Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy said as a viewer, she “certainly won’t be watching it”, but that it wasn’t her place to tell broadcasters what they could or couldn’t show. Meanwhile, former Celebrity MasterChef contestant Kirsty Wark suggested the BBC could have refilmed the series without the two co-hosts. The BBC previously said it had not been “an easy decision” to run the series, adding that there was “widespread support” among the chefs for it going ahead. The controversy over MasterChef started last year, when BBC News first revealed claims of misconduct against Wallace. Last month, a report by the show’s production company Banijay revealed that 83 complaints had been made against Wallace with more than 40 upheld, including one of unwelcome physical contact and another three of being in a state of undress. He has insisted he was cleared of “the most serious and sensational allegations”. In a recent interview with The Sun, he said he was “so sorry” to anyone he hurt, but insisted that he was “not a groper, a sex pest or a flasher”. The upheld complaint against Torode related to a severely offensive racist term allegedly used on the set of MasterChef in 2018. The presenter said he had “no recollection” of it and that any racist language is “wholly unacceptable”. Wallace will be replaced by Irish chef Anna Haugh in the final episodes of the new series, as that is when the allegations against him first emerged during filming in November.

Source link

Leave a Reply